This topic for the Kate Takes 5 weekly listography this week is 'Top 5 Phrases That Drive Me Crazy'.
I'm trying to be more calm and relaxed in 2012. Listed below are my top 5 phrases that, in the past, would make me a bit twitchy. A few of them should probably be classed as a statement of fact but through the years they have developed into phrases I think?
I really enjoyed this because it was a real eye opener into aspects of my life that I potentially need to tweak and work on. Thanks Kate!
1. 'It will only take a minute' - Um, no it won't! What this actually means is that it will most likely end up taking a good 30 minutes of my time. Lucky for most I'm happy to do it but honestly, just say what you mean people. It would take less than a minute to say that in fact!
2. 'Could you just look at this quickly' - Basically asking for you to show the person what to do while inevitably doing the entire thing yourself. I do mentally prepare myself that as it's usually something I've set up in the first place, I'll need to show people three times how to do it. That's life, I guess? I do need to work on tolerance levels as part of my ongoing personal development. I'm not trying to be a totally Zen like creature but it doesn't hurt to be nice.
3. 'So, when are you having number two?' - Why do kids have to come in pairs anyway? I'd love to have two children but not just right now, thank you. Also, do you have any idea of how much it costs just to have one child AND a husband?!
4. 'Do you miss South Africa?' - Are you serious? No, the stinkingly hot sun, stunning ocean views and breathtaking beaches, beautiful people, amazing culture and gorgeous landscapes were just too much for me to handle and I couldn't take it anymore, so I left. What do you think? Okay, that is a bit harsh but honestly, what did you think my response would be?
5. 'It's fairly nominal' - This is one that I'm guilty of unfortunately. The stupid thing is, what is nominal?! This is completely dependant on the persons current financial situation so what one person views as being relatively cheap could be extremely pricy for another. It's actually quite an insensitive comment to make. Need to stop saying that because it also sounds a bit snooty pants.
So concludes my second listography contribution. I hope you enjoy writing yours too!