Listography - 5 reasons I know I'm a...

This week Kate at Kate Takes 5 has chosen the subject of "5 reasons I know I'm a (fill in the blank).

I'm making my Listography into "5 reasons I know I'm a South African (living in the UK)".  Yes it's silly, but I'm feeling a little homesick today and this has made me feel slightly better for some odd reason.

The 5 reasons I know I'm a South African (living in the UK)...

1.  I say 'now now' and 'just now'.   In every place that I have worked in the UK and every person that I have met in the UK over the past 8 years, I have had to explain to them what I mean when I say these words.  What do I say?  "Now now" means that I'll do it shortly when I can or want to and "just now" means I'll do it later.  No actual timescale given.  Simple enough.

2.  I say 'shame' way too much.  It is a word with hundreds of different uses.  Such a fabulous way of expressing emotions and reactions to different situations.  Love it!

3.  25 degrees celcius is not hot.  It's not a heat wave.  It was 3 days of slightly warmer weather.  I will not be rushing down to a pebbly beach, getting stuck on the M25 for hours for a touch of colour.  I know a fabulous place locally that does a nifty spray tan in 20 minutes, thanks!  (I'm honestly a very positive person, trust me!).

4.  I don't eat rhubarb.  Ate it once.  Didn't like it.  Brits can keep it!

5.  I talk to people on tubes, trains and buses.  I even talk to people when I pay for things in a shop.  Oh, the shock and sheer horror of it all!  It's called being friendly.  The world would be a much better place if we were all a bit nicer to each other, don't you think?

Ax

Comments

  1. Haha! I love this one. Especially the last one, it's not often people will talk to eachother on the trains/buses/tubes and if you do you're 'weird'..Id talk to you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I know! It's a real culture shock. Luckily people in Hertfordshire are more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I don't like rhubarb at all though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try it again one day. Maybe after a large glass of red wine?! :)

      Delete
  4. ha! Great list :) I truly love rhubarb...!
    one of my dear friends is a south african - still living out there :) and you sound just like her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! When I go back home my accent gets much stronger. Oh, how I miss it!

      My daughter loves rhubarb. She was born here so is excused :) x

      Delete
  5. Great listography! I love South Africa and the South Africans. I do like rhubarb though - it can be yummy - honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay! I'll try it again one day, I promise! :) Yes, South Africans are great, if I do say so myself! xx

      Delete
  6. I love this list. As a Kiwi expat I can so relate! We talk on buses too and even thank the driver as we get off! I love the way Shame is used by South Africans - as you say it covers a myriad of situations brilliantly. I feel like I stole your idea as I have just completed my list as a Kiwi but I didn't see your list first, honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not stealing at all lovely! We are just similar Southern hemisphere types :) x

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the follow - I thought I'd pop over and have a peak at your blog - great listography. I used to work with a bunch of South Africans, super people, beautiful country. I'm stop by again :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab, and thank you! Why not stop by South Africa too??! :) x

      Delete
  8. You want to come further north in the UK. Here people actually do talk to each other. When I moved to London for a while in my 20's, I used to say good morning to random strangers on purpose just to freak them out. Such larks! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And freak them out you do! Love it! The Hertfordshire folk are pretty friendly too but a trip up north is definitely on the cards :) x

      Delete
  9. 'Now now' and 'just now' is like 'out out' and 'popped out'. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I love 'popped out'. It brings visions to mind of people disappearing in great puffs of smoke! x

      Delete
  10. Not silly at all! As an expat myself I feel your frustration - shame :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he! I feel like I'm whinging but honestly, I did feel happier after writing it. Guess you can't escape your roots? x

      Delete
  11. I definitely agree with the last one. I'm British but I think many people lack manners in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a ridiculously generalised statement that I made, but yes, some really do. I guess that some South Africans do too? Just haven't found any yet ;P x

      Delete
  12. Totally agree with the last one! The world would definitely be a better place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It doesn't hurt to be nice now, does it? :) x

      Delete
  13. Totally agree with the last one too! OUr summers do leave a lot to be desired, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love rhubarb, and it would be great if we were all friendly! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the weather thing, I'm a Brit in Southern Spain and 25 degrees is still long sleeve/jumper weather to me these days despite the tourists walking around in swimming cossies with a lovely burnt lobster look at every possible opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your list. I hate rhubarb too and as a shop assistant I like it when customers start chatting to me. It's a shame us Brits are that outgoing

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was meant to be areN'T that outgoing LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beanies Christmas Coffees and Fab #Giveaway

Competition and Review: Zappie - bringing walls and clothes to life!

Win a fabulous photo book with 23snaps!