What the Rice Krispies Did Next

Rice Krispies remind me of childhood.  Happy mornings (and sometimes lunches) spent with my ear hovering over my bowl listening to snapping, crackling and popping!

My toddler daughter also loves Rice Krispies which she fondly refers to as 'Krispies' and recently entered the Britmums Colour Me In Rice Krispies Competition.  She loved being creative with the fabulous pens that we were sent to make her masterpiece so I thought, why not be creative with the Rice Krispies too?  So, cue Rice Krispie cookies!

This is the recipe that I used...
45g butter
300g marshmallows
180g Rice Krispies

I prepared the Rice Krispie cookie mix while my daughter was having her afternoon nap.

Melt the butter in a bowl over a pot of boiling water on the stove (bain marie).  Once melted, add the marshmallows and stir them in with the butter as they melt.  Depending on the size of your bowl, you may want to add them in stages.

Once the mix is completely melted, remove from the heat and add in the Rice Krispies and mix until fully coated with the marshmallow mix.  It's best to add them a bit at a time.   It probably took about 20 minutes to measure and make the mixture.


I brushed the sides of the moulds that I had chosen with a small amount of melted butter then spooned small amounts of mix into the shapes.  I originally thought it would be nice (and pretty) to make stars and hearts...all girly and things like that.  Well, it wasn't that easy to mould them into the little silicone shapes that I had, so I scrapped that idea and improvised.  Cookie cutter moulds are far easier to use as their sides are firm.


My daughter woke up from her nap about an hour later which was perfect timing to let the cookies firm up and set.  Little one was very excited to decorate her Rice Krispie cookie treats!

I melted chocolate and helped her to layer it on the cookies.  She then chose either sprinkles, flowers or Smarties to decorate her treats with while I used decorative icing tubes to attempt to draw clothes and other things.  We had a fun mommy and daughter afternoon being creative and messy!


Of course, little one had to taste test one of her treats.  I had become so carried away that I didn't even realise what time it was (5.30 p.m.) and then half way through her treat I tried to persuade her to put it in the fridge for dessert (seriously, who was I kidding).  Anyway, I like to think that a light and healthy summery dinner made up for her having dessert as a main meal...

Ax

Comments

  1. I bet she loved every minute of that, it looked like great fun! Hard to beat good old rice crispies for baking with children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it was fabulous! I'll have the batch next time though :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beanies Christmas Coffees and Fab #Giveaway

Competition and Review: Zappie - bringing walls and clothes to life!

Win a fabulous photo book with 23snaps!